Re: [gnome-db] GDA_VALUE_TYPE_IMAGE

On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 17:21, Gonzalo Paniagua Javier wrote:
> El dom, 30-11-2003 a las 16:18, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> > HI
> >
> > I am going to add support for images in GdaValue's, which will then be
> > shown in the grid widget, as GdkPixbuf's.
> >
> > The easiest way to convert the data in the GdaValue to a GdkPixbuf is to
> > have providers return the image in raw data, which can then be converted
> > to a pixbuf easily.
> >
> > Does this sound ok for all providers?
>
> Isn't GDA_VALUE_TYPE_BINARY enough for holding images and then use a
> cell renderer that converts from that to a pixbuf?

well, in that case, we would need a MIME type sniffer to detect if the
data is an image.

I think that would be the best solution, so that we can render any type
of binary data. For images, we would display a thumbnail of the image,
for embedded files, we would run the associated application to allow the
user to edit/view the file.

But a MIME sniffer would make us depend on gnome-vfs, or write our own.