Re: [gnome-db] Oracle Provider and How to Contribute

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 22:01, Steve Fosdick wrote:

> > > 1. DB explorer and editor - I'd like to view, create a modify all DB
> > > entries from the GUI, e.g. table-spaces, data files, users, tables,
> > > indexes, packages and procedures, triggers, etc. Viewing, of course,
> > > includes structure as well as content.
> > >
> > yes, this is what we plan also. This is already available for tables
> > and views, and we are adding, as development progresses, the same for
> > the other database objects.
>
> This raises the decision between being generic and being specific, for
> example are tablespaces a general thing supported by several databases
> or are they Oracle-specific.  How do we handle specific stuff - do we
> have GUI plugins for certain database types or do we handle it all through
> the gda_supports function?

exactly, the plan is to support as much features as possible, and then
have each provider implement the thing it can, and have the _supports
method return whether a feature is implemented or not.

We already have such things, such as postgres' namespaces and parent
tables. For Oracle, the thing to do is just to add the extra bits to the
libgda API, and have the others providers just ignore that.

The GUI itself also reacts to this, enabling/disabling different parts.