Re: [gnome-db] DSN for Sybase/FreeTDS

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 06:39:42PM +1300, Andrew Greer wrote:
>   I used the Database Manager unders settings from mergeant. But I can't
> seem to get it to connect. There are all sorts of fields available, which

Setting up a connection should be quite simple, if sybase/freetds
is setup properly, you just need these DSNs:
for FreeTDS: HOST=sybase
for SYBASE : HOST=sybase

Of course you need to enter correct username and password in the
extra fields, too.

> ones are required? Does the sybase provider read the Sybase interfaces file?

Sure, the interfaces file is required. It's not read by the provider,
but the OpenClient Library uses it. Example client $SYBASE/interfaces:

sybase
	query tcp ether 192.168.3.2 5000

The same applies to the freetds provider. Example freetds.conf host
entry:
[sybase]
	host = 192.168.3.2
	port = 5000
	tds version = 5.0

Optionally you can use DATABASE=dbname for connecting to db dbname;
you can also influence the servers internationalization by using
LOCALE=localename (as in $SYBASE/locales/locales.dat).

>   What are OPTIONS, SYBASE and LOCALE used for?

LOCALE  Sets the locale used by the server to the one you specified.
        Used e.g. for getting back localized error messages from the
        server.
        Overrides locale assigned to the user connecting as well
	as environment settings. The provider uses context-level
	localization.

OPTIONS Unused. Intended for additional connection properties
        (e.g. settings largest text/image return size, encryption,
	 but i tend to remove it and add separate variables for each
         ct/cs_config option implemented)
SYBASE  Unused. Intended for setting the SYBASE environment variable,
        if setting it has been forgotten.

HTH
Holger