[gnome-db] Re: DbGrid and why not a DbEntry ?

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 08:02, Stéphane Wirtel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see than there is a DbGrid, and i ask if there is a DbEntry, or
> DbNavigator ( a small widget, to change the index in the db ).
>
> GnomeDbEntry *gnome_db_entry_new(GdaDataModel *, gchar *title);

yes, that's something in the plan, but we have had more important things
to do.

> GnomeDbNavigator *gnome_db_navigator_new(GdaDataModel *);
> gboolean gnome_db_navigator_next(GnomeDbNavigator *);

We are working now on an improved GnomeDbForm widget, which will allow
in-place editing of the data models. So I think there is no need for
another widget. Or are you talking about something different?

> so, it's possible to put a gnome_db_combo in a gtktreeview, or in a
> dbgrid ?

well, it is, but it will consume a lot of memory to put a widget in a
cell, on each row. At least that's what I understood when I asked
something similar to the GTK developers, that using widgets in cells is
not a good idea, unless it is a very small data model.

But of course, we need to make the users able to use the combo widget,
for data entry, so we should look for some solution. Are you
volunteering for doing the job? :-)