Re: [gnome-db] Provider-Specific Reserved Words

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 14:04, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> On Monday 04 August 2003 04:11, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 14:29, Ian D. Stewart wrote:
> > > Dear List,
> > >
> > > One of the areas where PowerDesigner (the database designer we use at
> > > work) falls short is dealing with reserved words.  This is perhaps an
> > > area we could address relatively simply in Gnome-DB and get a big win
> > > (IMO)
> > >
> > > In addition to the standard SQL-92 reserved words, each RDBMS typically
> > > has a number of key or reserved words it utilizes.  If we provided an
> > > interface to allow the GdaServerProvider (or another class, if
> > > appropriate) to let us know what those reserved words are, we could then
> > > warn the user when he/she is about to assign a reserved word to a table
> > > or field.
> >
> > hmm, right, this is not hard to do at all. I was thinking we could
> > provide a SQL_WORDS schema and have providers return there the set of
> > reserved words.
> >
> > What do you think about this?
>
> Oh, I like this!  Very elegant, *and* it leverages existing infrastructure!

ok, I'm about to add this before we freeze. But there is one issue. That
is, do we just return, from the provider, a list of reserved words, or
do we want to return more fine-grained information, such as where the
keyword can be used, etc?

If we want more fine-grained info, then I guess we'll have to postpone
this until post-1.0, since it requires a bit of thinking.

So, what do you think?