RE: [gnome-db] parameters in SQL commands

> hmm, that's a really good idea, which seems worth the effort. Although,
> as the parameter support is quite important right now, I'd prefer to
> ignore this feature at the first implementation, which just needs toi
> understand the placeholders, and replace them with values or
> DBMS-specific placeholders. But, as your idea seems a good idea, if
> nobody has nothing against it, I'll use [name] so that we can extend it
> later on with what Fernando says.

Just a clarification: this "idea" is how MS Access works. It is quite useful
(from the developers point of view) and it's proven technology.

Parametrized queries on the client have one goal: supporting interface
development by providing integration with the environment (usually forms).

Of course, if those statements are stored on the server (as Gonzalo said,
for performance and also data consistency (business rules) reasons) then the
syntax is defined by the DBMS itself. The role of the providers is then to
provide a facility for the client to define those parameter values, not to
parse the SQL statement and replace parameter names by values.

Fernando