Re: [gnome-db] Memory leaks

On Wed, 2002-05-15 at 16:39, sraimbault concept-iid fr wrote:
> En réponse à Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>:
>
> > why not? It does not depend on the whole GNOME 2, but glib-2.0 and
> > libxml, so you should be able to use it without much pain. And you'll
> > be
> > sure to be using a library being developed heavily in these days, not
> > piece of unmaintained code, which is what the 0.2.x series are.
> >
> > So, I'd really propose you to switch to the 0.8.x series, much easier
> > and cleaner than the 0.2.x ones.
>
> I've done this :
> 1- Download : libgda-0.8.190.tar.gz, libxml2-2.4.21.tar.bz2, libxslt-1.0.17.tar.bz2
> 2- Compilation : OK
> 3- Test : gda-test OK
> 4- Use of pkg-config : ERROR
> 'Configure' doesn't need ORBit-2.0 bonobo-activation-2.0 libbonobo-2.0 but
> they are in 'libgda.pc.in', why ? :
> prefix= prefix@
> exec_prefix= exec_prefix@
> libdir= libdir@
> includedir= includedir@
>
> Name: libgda
> Requires: glib-2.0 ORBit-2.0 bonobo-activation-2.0 libbonobo-2.0
> Version: @VERSION@
> Libs: -L${libdir} -lgda-2
> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>
> 5- I modified pkg-config : OK

just did on CVS, so it should be fixed in tonight's snapshot
(ftp://ftp.gnome-db.org/pub/gnome-db/snapshots). But with the change you
did should be ok. Just in case, here's how this file looks on CVS right
now, so that you don't have to wait for the snapshot:

prefix= prefix@
exec_prefix= exec_prefix@
libdir= libdir@
includedir= includedir@

Name: libgda
Requires: glib-2.0 libxml-2.0 libxslt
Version: @VERSION@
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgda-2
Cflags: -I${includedir}

> 6- I made some test with only glib-1.2 and glib-2.0 : OK
> 7- How I can use glib-1.2 and glib2.0 at the same time in a gnome-1.0 + gda 0.8
> application ?

it will give problems mixing the 2 libraries, since there are a lot of
symbols defined in both. You can try (I don't know if it will work) to
create a tiny lib which wraps the calls to libgda-0.8.x and links
statically with glib-2.0, and then have the rest of your app use
glib-1.2 and this tiny library.

But if you're using only glib (that is, no GTK), please switch all your
app to glib-2.0. All the code will still work, since there are no
incompatible changes.