Re: [gnome-db] another gda config tool

El lun, 15-07-2002 a las 21:48, Rodrigo Moya escribió:
> On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 19:54, Gonzalo Paniagua Javier wrote:
> > * [ Gonzalo Paniagua Javier <gonzalo gnome-db org>
> > * Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:35:11 +0200 ]
> >
> > Well, i've taken a look at yagda. Instead of doing a separate tool that
> > only works with command line options, i consider more appropiate to add
> > a bugzilla entry requesting those options in gda-config-tool or even
> > providing a patch that adds them to the tool.
> >
> yes, I also think so. The idea we have with gda-config-tool is to have it work
> in different ways, so instead of a new tool, as Gonzalo says, it's much better
> to integrate it with gda-config-tool.

I will talk a bit more about yagda. While we were doing de FAQ we had
the need of manage datasources for making tests. The first idea was to
use gda-config-tool but we didn't know anything about what were
"entries" and "sections". We were looking at the code, but we haven't
idea about the format of the config file (is it gconf?). On the other
hand, we saw many documented functions for configuring libgda
(http://www.gnome-db.org/docs/libgda/libgda-gda-config.html) so we
thought in making a simple program that helped us using them. Bit a bit
we were adding more functionality (really easy, we only had to use de
configuration functions) and popt for parsing the arguments (really
cool!).

The internals of both programs are very diferent. While gda-config-tool
manages the configuration file we only use the configuration functions
of libgda. I don't know if the integration can be easy.

We didn't have the need of requesting the options to be added to
gda-config-tool because we could implement it "our way".

Yagda was only to be used by ourselves, but we thought that it would be
a good idea to offer it to the comunity. It doesn't have the aim of
replacing gda-config tool, it's only Yet Another GDA Config Tool :)

See you!

--