Re: [gnome-db] New patch

On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 01:57, Gonzalo Paniagua Javier wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 12:28:21AM +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > patches look fine now. Please commit.
>
> 	:-) My first commit!
>
> > hmm, I don't think it is a good idea to ALWAYS show decimal numbers with
> > the maximum precision. If we do so, when we want to display an amount,
> > for instance, we'll get:
> >
> > 100.343434545454394587740430489834934.....
> >
> > to say
> >
> > 100.34
> >
> > so I don't think we should show all the decmal numbers.
>
> 	The default for %f is 6 digit precision. So with doubles we are
> 	losing 9! But well, it is ok. If who use the library wants
> 	another representation, she just have to get the value and
> 	convert it to whatever she wants. Anyway, we should document this
> 	'feature'.

yes, this should go in the gda_value_stringify inline docs, as with the
rest of the functions. Could you please add it for that function? That
is:

/**
 * function_name
 * @arg1: description of arg1
 * @arg2: description of arg2
 *
 * Description of the function.
 *
 * Returns: description of return value
 */
void
function_name (...)
{
}

It is a good idea to do this as we add new functions to the public APIs.
Thus, we have updated API documentation. I should force myself to do so
also :-)

> 	Next:
>
> 		-By watching in the logs what psql does and the source
> 		code of it, I will soon be able to get more accurate
> 		values for the scale of a decimal(n,p), the maximum size
> 		of a varchar and the like. When I get it, I'll improve
> 		that portion of the postgresl provider.

nice

> 		-I could do, if you want, a modified version of
> 		display_data_model() (testing/models.c) that also shows
> 		the column names. So every provider can use it to test
> 		its recordsets.

yes, sounds nice. The display_data_model function was done mainly to
test GdaDataModel's, not GdaRecordset's, so it was made just to show the
data in the model.
So, yes, go on.

> 		-Also, I will be adding a new type (first of all I'll
> 		modify the IDL and send it to the list to get feedback)
> 		from time to time.

perfect

> 	Is there any other thing you want me to do in libgda?

look at the bug list for libgda-1.0 in
http://www.gnome-db.org/dev/index.php. I'll try to add right now new
tasks if I remember them :-)