Re: [gnome-db] Gnome-Db and gASQL (was gdafield &dbgrid & timestamp)

On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 11:49, Malerba_Vivien stna dgac fr wrote:
> le mar 08-01-2002  00:07, Rodrigo Moya a écrit :
>
> > > Right now I'm busy making gASQL a better tool (the core is almost
> > > redesigned, more code on the way).
> > >
> > hmm, don't you think it would be better to include all this redesign
> > into GNOME-DB, as we talked for the merge?
> >
> > That is, I've implemented GNOME-DB for GNOME 2 so that you can now just
> > include the gASQL parts as GnomeDbShellComponent's. Or maybe you prefer
> > to still have gASQL as components but as a separate module in CVS?
> >

> I think having gASQL aq part of Gnome-DB is nice since it provides a
> "more Access like" application to Gnome-DB, however for now I'm late
> behind Gnome-DB: I haven't yet started to port to GNOME 2, so maybe for
> now it's better to keep it out of the Gnome-DB CVS module. When I've
> completed to porting then I'll prefer to include it within Gnome-DB to
> enforce cohesion.

ok, that's perfect. I was just worried that maybe you were working in
another direction. But this seems ok.

Although I would recommend you switching all development to GNOME 2 as
soon as you can, since we are approaching GNOME 2 time (february most
likely).

If you want to install GNOME 2, just get vicious-build-scripts from CVS,
read the README and do what it says.

> About the current status of gASQL, I've started a major rewrite of all
> the queries management because there were lots of limitations I wanted
> to remove. Now it is possible to have sub queries, queries like union,
> intersect, there is copy and paste, more kinds of elements in a query,
> it will be possible to create action queries to make some maintenance
> tasks,.... The joining between tables and fields in a query will be much
> better. Also all the GUI part to manipulate queries is now based on a
> model-view-controler idea.
>
> I've started to set up some docs which are available at
> http://gasql.sf.net/tmpdoc/New_Arch
>
> I'm now in the process of coding all this (which is time consuming), but
> I'm getting some help :)
>
> When this is done, gASQL will have the following architecture: a core
> (which holds informations on queries, forms, etc) and some parts which
> will be accessible through bonobo (with the GnomeDbShellComponent
> interface). These components will be made accessible to Gnome-DB through
> the front end. The parts I intend to make accessible for now are the
> list of tables, forms, queries, and the relationship widget.
>
> However, these GnomeDbShellComponent components will need to be set up
> before they can be used: I mean from a gASQL bonobo factory to which
> some data will have been fed in the form of an XML file).
>
> Tell me if that seems good to you.

that looks perfect to me. I hope to have some time this weekend to read
more deeply your docs and the current gASQL sources, and I'll send you
my ideas about the merging more detailed, taking into account all this
new architecture you're planning.