Re: [gnome-db] 0.2.90: compilation problems

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 06:14, Dmitry G. Mastrukov wrote:

Hi all!

I've had some problems when compiling 0.2.90
First of all I wasn't be able to build both libgda and gnome-db from outside of the source tree. I like to build packages from separate directory but sometimes developers don't care of $(TOPSRCDIR), $(SRCDIR) and other similar variables in .in files and simply use ../dir/file, especially when it's necessary to process such file with external tool (like with orbit-idl in libgda). Two error traces are below.
From source directory build process is ok.

yes, I know this is broken, we're using "always" $(top_builddir), which
is broken. All I know about this problem is that I must add 2 parameters
for each header directory (-I$(top_builddir)/dir -I$(top_srcdir)/dir),

Seems you need this only if you generate headers, but in ordinary case -I$(top_srcdir)/dir is sufficient.

but how can I deal with this when calling a program, as is the case whn
calling orbit-idl?

I think you should look at another gnome packages. I build all GNOME from separate directory except for libgda, gnome-db and may be few non-main packages (I even can't recall which)

Next I've found many occurences of GdaServerError in some providers in libgda, for example gda-mail-server. As I understood from Changelog GdaServerError was meged with GdaError so I replaced GdaServerError with GdaError and compilation ended ok.

yes, those providers (gda-mail-server and others) don't work, and might
not even compile, so please, don't lose your time trying to compile/run
them. The ones that work are ODBC, Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, Interbase
(maybe) and Sybase as soon as I apply Mike's patch.

I claim only that gda-mail-server compiles with GdaError. I always try to use maximum number of options :)

Regards,
Dmitry