Re: [gnome-db]CORBA problems

On 02 May 2001 18:08:57 -0500, Bob Jones wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Bob!

> I have finally gotten libgda to compile and at least mostly work with
> Oracle 8i (if anyone is interested, I can send a list of files in the
> ORA_HOME/lib directories for both 8i and 8.0.5 as well as the
> corresponding different config.status files).

yes, please, send them to me

> My problem is thus (besides being a newbie to C development and Linux
> :-)  ):  I can sucessfully test the provider I setup for the 8i (similar
> to a Oracle's Net8 assistant test feature) but when I try to connect to
> Oracle I recieve the following:
>             IDL:CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0 An Error occured in the CORBA system.
>
> Once I OK out of the error message I am unable to do much of anything
> which is obvious since I dont have db connection.  I admit that I might
> have missed a library when modifying config.status for libgda (or added
> too many - but I went one by one re-building until I could at least
> connect when testing the provider).

you're running libgda from CVS, aren't you? It seems so, since I'm
getting the same error sometimes in the last days. I'm not sure if it's
something I changed, or something oaf-related. And it's difficult to
trace it, since when I run the programs (gnomedb-components and
gda-postgres-srv) on the debugger, everything works ok, so I'm not able
to see where it fails :-)

You can still run it without problems if you start the provider
(gda-oracle-srv) before trying to connect (that's why I'm starting to
think on something oaf-related)

> My question is what tools would you recommend I use to trace the
> processes in order to find where the CORBA problem lies?  Any other
> suggestions or pointer to HOW-TO's would be appreciated.

what I do, is to open a gdb session for each program you're interested in. In this
case, you'd be interested in debugging gnomedb-components, which is
where you're connecting to the provider, and gda-oracle-srv.

I hope you've got more luck than me :-(

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/