Re: [gnome-db]GtkObject vs. GObject

On 28 Mar 2001 22:50:41 +0200, Reinhard Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not dead, I just was busy :)

wow, that's great! Reinhard is back!!!! :-)

> I tried to compile libgda without gtk (by using glib-1.3) and had some
> issues, which I solved and checked the changes into cvs.
> Now, libgda compiles at least again without gtk - will do further
> testing soon.
> Meanwhile, signal handling was implemented in GObject, so I will add
> signals to the HAVE_GOBJECT variant of libgda, and thus libgda will be
> finally _fully_ functional without gtk, if you have glib-1.3 (unstable)
> installed.

that's great! and it will save us lot of work in some months, when the
switch to Glib/GTK 2.0 is made.

I am myself looking for time to set up a GLib/GTK/GNOME 2.0 environment
in my machine (of course, keeping the stable GTK/GNOME at the same
time), so I'd be testing all the stuff you do about this as soon as I've
got everything setup

> Just the gda-xml-query won't work that way, because you use gob there,
> and gob depends deeply on gtk.
> Does anybody know if there is a version for gob that works for gobject
> instead of gtkobject?

not me, although I suppose work will be done soon on it to port it to
the new GObject stuff, since its maintainer (jirka) is also one of the
gnome-libs maintainers, and work is starting to make what will be
gnome-libs 2.0. Anyway, I can't see anything in its home page
(http://www.5z.com/jirka/gob.html) about it.

> Acutally, at first sight GOB seems a very good tool to me and makes all
> that object stuff much more readable.

yes, it is.

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/