[gnome-db]Re: Glade and Gnome-DB

On 24 Jan 2001 09:31:04 -0200, Anderson Clayton wrote:
> Hi Rodrigo !
> I'm sending a little explanation how the Glade can works together with Gnome-DB/libgda...
> Feel free to put it on the trash ! :-)
>
> Anderson Clayton

> Hi everyone !
>
> I've seen the discussion about integration Gnome-DB/libgda and
Glade...
> I work on Progress Database, and there is a GUI to make applications,
and
> there also some components to work with database such SmartQuery
(extract datas from database), SmartBrowse > (displays datas like a
grid), SmartViewer (display database fields),SmartPanels (to navigate
across the database's > records), and others...

gnome-db-browser--------------------
====================================
> select * from manager  =  ---------->   = Name          |Age|Cellular
Phone|

====================================
>         |       gnome-db-viewer---------------------------
>         ---->   ------------------------------------------
>                 Name: Jose Araujo                        =
>                 Address : 253 Street Number 65           =
>                 Phone: 55 61 300                         =
>                 ==========================================
>
> As you see it would be very easy to work with database, and once make
the objects you can put it on the other > windows.
> You can modify the instaces to work as you want...
>
> The objective is not to do the same thing, but only something
similar...

Hi Anderson

well, some of the things you say are already available in gnome-db:
* gnome-db-viewer -> this is done by the gnome-db-dataset widget
* gnome-db-browser -> this is the gnome-db-grid

So what must be done is to integrate these widgets (and the others) in
glade. Maybe we'll have to add another type of widget which contains all
info needed to connect to the database (as the gnome-db-query stuff in
your example), and then have the other widgets reference that one (more
or less what the DataControl in VB does).

So, really, the first thing to do is to finish the integration of the
existing GNOME-DB widgets in Glade.