Re: Gda_ConnectionPool

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 04:11:58PM +0200, rodrigo linuxave net wrote:
> Vivien Malerba wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Form what I understand the Gda_ConnectionPool takes care of a list of
> > connections and can close all of them. What about when a connection is
> > not used anymore? There is no mechanism to care about unused connections
> > and destroy them.
> >
> > Should I add a gda_connection_pool_close() function which, from a client
> > point of view will decrease the the reference count and destroy the connection
> > when it reaches 0?
> >

> the Gda_ConnectionPool is just started, so it's missing lots of fonctionality.
> What you say is one of them. I had thought that, instead of having the client
> call gda_connection_pool_close(), have a timeout for closing the connection. I am
> not sure which one is better, since your proposition is ok, but if a client
> crashes, the connection will remain open for always, since
> gda_connection_pool_close() is never call. And my idea has also drawbacks, since
> there could be a client inactive for 20 hours, for example, but it still believes
> the connection is established.
>
> so, what do you think?

AFAIK the Gda_ConnectionPool object is in the libgda-client.so library, which
means it is part of a program which uses the object, so if the application
crashes, we have the same problem as with any other CORBA call (BTW I don't know how
it is handled!). I mean that this problem is not specific to the Gda_ConnectionPool
object. Or am I wrong?

So I think it would be nice to use the gtk_object_ref(), etc functions here.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,