Re: [holger: Re: Logger for libgda]

On 28 Nov 2000 23:09:30 +0100, David Marín Carreño wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>

> > so, you're going to save the changes? But this is not reliable at all.
> > Imagine I use:
> >
> > UPDATE employees SET name = 'fulano';
> >
> > ok, what you save here? that employees.name was set to 'fulano'? This is
> > ok, you've got a log of
> > what you've done in the DB. But, how will you recover the old data?
>
> Seeking the last value of name before 'fulano'.

which is in the logger, I suppose. And what if there is a change not
logged in? I mean, the DB
administrator could want to suppress logs for a while, and if so, your
system will revert the
data to the values set, say, 3 months ago? As I said, this is not
reliable.

Of course, we can say: once you use the logger, DON'T DISABLE IT, since
strange things could
happen. But of course, this is a step backwards for GDA, since we'll
have an unreliable
and very fond of errors system

> > This would be easy if you always used expressions such as:
> >
> > UPDATE employees SET salary = salary + 200;
> >
> > here, it's easy, you can recover by just doing
> >
> > UPDATE employees SET salary = salary - 200;
> >
> > But with other kind of expressions, I don't see the way you're going
> > to recover the old data when undoing.
>
> Each time we change the database, we log it. Since the creation of the
> entry, until the last modifications. All are logged. So if we want to
> undo, we look for the last modification before the modification we want to
> undo.

yes, but the first time you use the logger, what would you store? and,
as said before, what if
the logger is disabled for some time?

> > > I cannot see any problem here... Sorry ;-)
> > >
> > the undoing stuff is the problem. I'd implement just a logger in 3/4 hours,
> >
> > but the undoing stuff... I can't see the way we'll implement it.
>
> I hope this message give you a clue.

sorry, but not, I still see a big problem in the undoing stuff.