Re: gnome-libs, compiling with gcc-2.95.2, on solaris 8

Because gnome-libs-1.2.x doesn't support a --with-db=<path>,
you either have to have the environment variable
LDFLAGS="-R<your db path/lib> -L<your db path/lib>"
exported when you configure, or hack up configure.  I haven't
had time, nor the experience with autoconf to figure out where
one would put the "--with-db=<path>" autoconf code (nor have
I coded it).  Additionally, you will need to add to an exported
CFLAGS variable the "-I<your db path/include>" before you
configure so the compile will not fail looking for the include
files needed.

(Note: -R is a Solarisism, defining the path for the runtime
linker so that you don't have to use a LD_LIBRARY_PATH varaible)

Additionally, if you compiled your berkeley db with c++ extensions,
you will need to add the "--enable-std+++" flag when configuring
gnome-libs-1.2.8

Lastly, because your BerekeleyDB is not in a standard place, you
will have to hack up gnome-config and gnomeConf.sh to include
the -R flag on appropriate lines, and add the -R/-L<berkeleyDB>/lib
line to anyline including -ldb (specifically GNOME_LIBS and
GNOMEUI_LIBS in gnomeConf.sh)  Once you do this, the rest of the
software builds without a hitch.

HTH

Ben

> I'm getting an error message trying to run configure on gnome-libs-1.2.8:
>
> checking for dbopen in -ldb... no
> checking for dbopen in -ldb1... no
> configure: error: Your db library is missing db 1.85 compatibility mode
>
> so basically, im looking for a way to get this "db" library. I looked on
> freshmeat.net, but found nothing.  Any ideas?

you need libdb2 (I think), which should be on your (RedHat/Debian) CD. You
should install both libdb2 and libdb2-dev