Re: [George Farris <george gmsys com>] GNULPR and GNOME

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> As there's been no answer to Karl's message about gnome-print stuff
> being non-GNOME-dependent, and as there was this message some days ago
> in gnome-list, we could start considering using this GNULPR (BTW,
> somebody knows a URL
> about it) for our report engine.

http://lpr.sourceforge.net/ (found, as usually at freshmeat.net)

it seems that gnulpr aims to become just a lpd/plp/lprNG and apsfilter
replacement.

the lack of an answer is an answer, tough, because my guess is, that 1.
they (gnome-print) have no aim
to seperate, and 2. it is nearly impossible to seperate.

however, implementing a ps/pdf rendering widget (the like) thing from
scratch is pretty hard
and much work, readily available widgets which are any good are pretty
rare, not to say, unavailable.

maybe there is a way to build a patch against the gnome-print libs,
which incorporates all needed source
for the used gnome-widgets, in order to function seperate from
gnome-gore/gnome-libs.
(but this will surely be quite a hack, i have to admit)

another possibility could be embedding the gecko (mozilla) layout engine
and find a way to print the output,
if there is´nt already printing functionality int it.
this would have the basic advantage of ready made XML/XSL technology,
which seems reasonable for the use
of a report printing lib. (XML data source -> XML/XSL Layout -> RIP
[ps|pdf] -> paper[*])
problem here is the enourmous size of the gecko engine and the MPL(?).

what do you think?

btw, sould the report engine become just gnome-independent or also
completly gtk/X independent?
Also, is there already a basic architecture flow chart?

[*]paper: really thin, mostly white and rectangular objects made of
trees, used for painting letters and pictures on
          introduced some centuries ago due to the lack of pda´s and the
like gadgets ;-)

--
Best regards, Karl Pitrich. icq #81091001

pitrich information technologies
linuxsoftwareinternetworkcommunication!
hauptstraße 16-18 | 4040 linz | austria
voice: +43 70 718884 | support: 0900 970 710 (.at only)
--
 Microsoft is prohibited from distributing this work in any form, in
 whole or in part, across any medium. Licenses for distribution are