Re: report engine

Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi Karl,
>
> > > So, what must be done? First, please take a look at the IDL, and tell us if
> > > you want to change/remove/add something. Then, a client wrapper for the
> > > CORBA stuff, on which Carlos is working, and the implementation of the CORBA
> > > server part.
> >
> > > Then, we must also write some sort of plugin system to allow different
> > > converters (to convert from the XML format to PDF, PostScript, etc), and,
> > > of course, write the plugins.
> >
> > incorporating gnome-print seems reasonable for that issue, do you intend
> > so or
> > do you want to brew your own stuff?
> > gnome-print can already, as you know, generate ps and pdf, i think it
> > would be quite easy
> > to implement a lib which draws xml-layouted queries on a gnome-print
> > widget.
> >
> the problem here is that we want the report engine to be totally GNOME-
> independent. So, the best solution I can see here is to talk with the
> gnome-print people to see if it's possible to remove their GNOME
> dependencies.
>
> > > Then, in a more higher level, there is the GNOME frontend to this
> > > architecture, which will be a report designer/viewer. But this will be
> > > on the second stage. For the moment, the CORBA part is what must be done.
> >
> > as it seems, a frontend is the thing i could start work on, because of
> > my lack of
> > corba knowledge. i think, the designer could easily be implemented stand
> > alone in the first place, with a corba layer added by someone later on.
> > are there any plans on this for now? if not, i´d gladly start to
> > work on a core concept for this one.
> >
> it's perfect for me you starting on this. The only thing I disagree is on the
> "stand alone" stuff. The fact is that we agreed on having the report XML
> format management stuff on the CORBA level, so this designer should be
> implemented at the same time as those IDL methods for doing so are added.
>
> Carlos had a suggestion about these IDL interfaces, so Carlos, show them
> to us again, please.

/me just ordered 'the corba reference guide' by alan pope on amazon

;-)

--
Best regards, Karl Pitrich. icq #81091001

pitrich information technologies
linuxsoftwareinternetworkcommunication!
hauptstraße 16-18 | 4040 linz | austria
voice: +43 70 718884 | support: 0900 970 710 (.at only)
--
 Microsoft is prohibited from distributing this work in any form, in
 whole or in part, across any medium. Licenses for distribution are