Re: Mysql, Reports, XML

Chris Wiegand wrote:

> I read on the web site that the MySQL server is incomplete. Can someone
> tell me what's incomplete? I know the MySQL api pretty well (at least, I
> did last month, and can brush up on it quickly, I prefer it:).

HOOOOORRRRAAAAAAAH! At last somebody wanting to hack on it! It is missing
several features, so if you want to get it, I propose you have a look at the
sources (gda-mysql-* files) and I'll have a look at them also myself to know
what's missing, and then we'll change ideas, bugs...

> I took a look at the cvs code. Not as complex as I thought, although more
> complex than ADO in VB (I'm spoiled, I know it). I think perhaps I can help
> with the report system, although I'll need to get the CVS and really play
> around with it on my machine. Perhaps I'll play with the rolodex, I'm
> assuming that it works, although what provider does it use, I couldn't
> figure that out.

rolodex needs some changes, it works, but it should provide a GUI connection
dialog, and the most important, it needs to use the widgets in the GDA UI lib,
so if you feel like rewriting it, I won't disagree.

> Finally, as far as an intermediary XML file for the report results, perhaps
> in the report module we could save the data, with info like X and Y
> co-ordinates for page layout, to an XML file, then if the users previews
> it, we load the XML into the gnome-print area. If they want to email it, we
> could offer to pass it through some filters for things like HTML, XML (with
> DTD necessary?), CSV, etc...

I leave all these details to the people working in the report.