Re: updateable recordsets (was RE: GNOME-DB TODO)

On jeu, 20 jui 2000, you wrote:

> Some members of the GNU Enterprise team have already made some
> thoughts about that. Maybe you want to join irc.gnue.org #gnue
> to discuss shortly what we have in mind.
> Unfortunately, our plans are not written down yet, but exist
> only in our brains.
>
> > About how to do it, I myself don't have a clear idea on how
> > to do it in
> > a portable way, so let's discuss about it. The only thing I
> > can think of
> > is to have the providers store a row identifier (ROWID in
> > oracle, oid in
> > postgres...), and when a field is updated, to do it through this
> > identifier. BUT, some RDBMS don't support this!
>
> We had the discussion to not use ROWID or oid features, but
> rather to use seed tables where a 64bit integer value is
> stored per table, and every table has a field "COLNR" or the
> like where a "counter" is stored. This COLNR would be filled
> in automagically by gda when inserting a record using
> gda_recordset_insert (of course not when an explicit SQL
> INSERT statement is used).

As This feature should be implemented by the provider itself, why not allow it
to decide to use either the seed tables or the oids (as example Postgres has the
oid system and so the recordset feature system would be available to every DB
regardless of its structure). For DBMS which do not support oids or the like,
then the seeds tables could be used.
What do you think?