Re: GNU Enterprise

Please note, this is MY opinion, not my employer, the group, or anyone else
but me! You may now read on:

> But then, if we used gnome-db for GNUe, we would have to make all
> servers
> and the
> client library ** completely gnome-independent ** as we want to be
> multi-platform as well.

Personally and professionally, I would **love** to see a good API that is
independant from X not to mention GTK and Gnome, however, it's not easy (I
tried before I joined this group). It would become the ADO of Free Software
and Open Source everywhere.

I can certainly understand making the graphical parts separate (and
dependant on X) from the rest of the code, which would of course require glib,
perhaps even gtk. Also, the possibility of reducing duplication of effort would
be great! (KDE doesn't have a DB API yet, but that's not going to take them
long to realise, and obviously if gnome-db can't be what they need, then
GNU-E here is also going to have to make their own API...)

> There has also been discussed the possibility of taking the current
> gnome-db
> code
> and extending it to our needs without putting it back to gnome-db - but
> we
> wouldn't like
> that very much, 'cause it would be duplicating future efforts.

Again, duplication of effort..

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net