Re: gda-builder and gda-mgr

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:

> There is no roadmap, sorry. We were talking about this last week, about
> providing a shared lib for each provider which will implement a custom
> widget providing the GUI for database administration. Although Michael
> Lausch (the creator of the project) has suggested to implement them as
> bonobo objects, but I don't know if this will fit Murray's needs (Murray
> wanted to do the ODBC part of this tool to be integrated with both
> gnome-db and the unixODBC project).

Murray, how are you planning to integrate GNOME-DB with UnixODBC?  Are you
thinking of an ODBC-to-GNOME-DB bridge (effectively, an ODBC driver that
talks to gda-client)?

If that's the case, then we don't need to worry about each provider's
configurator library being compatible with UnixODBC, because you
will most likely have one configurator for UnixODBC that lets you
specify which GDA data source to use.  If that's the case, then
making the GDA configurators bonobo components is a good idea, and you can
write the ODBC-to-GNOME-DB configurator to the UnixODBC configurator API.

Even if there is a need to integrate a gda configurator into UnixODBC,
perhaps we could write all GDA provider configurators to the same API that
UnixODBC uses for configurators, and then develop a bonobo wrapper for
that API?

> There will also be a  part in the gda-manager for GNOME-DB system-wide
> configuration (that is, system-wide data sources and providers).

Great!

Brian Jepson * (bjepson@ids.net)  *  http://users.ids.net/~bjepson