Re: libglade+gnome-db example (was Re: Connecting by data source?)

On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:

> I'm not very sure of this (so check it), but I think you can retrieve the
> GtkCombo's list selection, which is done like this:
>
> GList* selected = GTK_LIST(GTK_COMBO(combo)->list)->selection;
> guint index = GPOINTER_TO_UINT(selected->data);

Thanks - I ended up doing things a little differently (but not much
differently):

   /* Find the index of the current combo selection */
   selected = GTK_LIST(GTK_COMBO(combo)->list)->selection;
   item = GTK_WIDGET(selected->data);
   row_index = gtk_list_child_position(GTK_LIST(GTK_COMBO(combo)->list),
                                       item);

and here is how I am repositioning the record set:

   /* Reposition the record set */
   grs = gnome_db_combo_get_recordset(GNOME_DB_COMBO(combo));
   gda_recordset_move_first(grs);
   gda_recordset_move(grs, row_index, NULL);
   fprintf(stderr, "SELECTED: %d\n", row_index);

and finally, this is how I get the underlying field:

   /* retrieve the field we're interested in and return it */
   field = gda_recordset_field_idx(grs, column_index);
   gda_stringify_value(buffer, sizeof(buffer), field);
   fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", buffer);
   return g_strdup(buffer);

Does it make sense for gnome-db-combo to have this functionality (at least
repositioning the recordset on the selection)?  In my example, I only
reposition it when I want to query the underlying data, but it might be
nice that anytime I do gnome_db_combo_get_recordset, I get a recordset
that is positioned on the current selection.

Also, I've updated the tar file with this example, which is available at:

   www.as220.org/~bjepson/gnome-db/db_login.tar.gz

> There were no very important changes from this date, the only thing, which is
> committed today, is the username stuff we talked about yesterday.

Thanks - I just did a new build, and that feature works great!

Brian Jepson * (bjepson@ids.net)  *  http://users.ids.net/~bjepson