Re: Connecting by data source?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:

> This is not true. The only thing is that, depending on which provider you are
> going to use, you are allowed to pass all needed information in the DSN field
> of the datasource. This string may contain USER, PASSWORD... but it will not
> have any effect if the provider does not recognize this option.

Thanks - this definitely make sense.

> Same as before. If the provider accepts the username in the DSN string, this
> will work, but if not...
>
> Although I'm thinking we could use a new entry per datasource to specify a
> default user. So, if you don't provide a username in the call to
> gda_connection_open, it will use this one, and if you specify a username, it
> will use this one instead of the datasource-specified.
>
> What do you think?

I like this idea, since it frees the user from having to type their name
each time.

Would it be possible for the login widget to update the user's gdalib file
with their username?  That way, the administrator can deploy the same
gdalib file to each user, and then the user only needs to specify their
username once (unless the administrator deploys a new gdalib file to that
user, overwriting their personalization).

Since the login widget would update their private gdalib file, it would
remember the user name for future logins, and all they'd have to type is
their password.

Brian Jepson * (bjepson@ids.net)  *  http://users.ids.net/~bjepson