Re: Connecting by data source?

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Rodrigo Moya Piernavieja wrote:

[...]

> I agree with Stephan. I don't think data sources should include user and
> password info, since this will mean having to create the same datasource many
> times, one for each user you want to use to access the database.

If the data source won't include user-specific information, why does
GNOME-DB look for gdalib in the user's private .gnome directory? Why not
centralize its location?

Couldn't we do something like UnixODBC does?  Under UnixODBC, I can have
system-wide data sources that are in someplace like /etc/odbc.ini, and my
own personal data sources in /home/bjepson/.odbc.ini.  Unless it takes a
lot of effort to add this feature (and I'm guessing that I could put a
username and password in the DSN field, depending on the provider), why
not let the user decide how she or he wants to customize the
~/.gnome/gdalib file?

Even if we don't allow user-specific customizations, we agree that site
administrators will create general datasources.  So far, the example
programs (except for ones that use the login widget) I have seen let me
specify a provider name, but not a datasource name. If I set up a
datasource like this:

  [Postgres-Native]
  Provider=gda-postgres
  DSN=DATABASE=bjepson;HOST=localhost
  Description=Postgres Test Database in native mode
  Configurator=None

How can I refer to it in a program like rolodex that doesn't use the login
widget (or in a command-line program that doesn't use any widgets at all)?

Thanks,

Brian Jepson * (bjepson@ids.net)  *  http://users.ids.net/~bjepson