Re: Antw: New gda-report's DTD

Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > but, I don't understand why you want libglade for. The output of the
> > report should be rendered with gnome-print IMO, which has a preview
> > option, and which you can directly send to the printer, whereas a form
> > in glade format could be quite difficult to print.
>
> I urge you to look at a neutral solution.  Locking someone into Gnome only
> is very short sighted.  If you want the ultimate reporting tool I would
> aim at something that can encompassed by multiplatforms as well as teh
> web.
>
> If you have XML as the output you could use jade to convert to a ton of
> different outputs.  Even if you think that is loony, I would suggest
> against a gnome only solution.

well, all this GNOME part we're talking about is only for the output and
visual design of the report, or this is what I think myself. The idea
I've got about the report engine is:

* gda-report: the core of the engine. It reads the report, checks it,
and run it, calling a higher-level supplied callback for all the
presentation. This module is in libgda-client, so it does not depend at
all on GNOME, and won't be using neither libglade nor gnome-print. In
fact, it won't mind at all about how the report is showed to the user
* gnome-db-report: the higher-level module which makes all the output
stuff for the report. This should be splitted in the presentation part
(gnome-print) and the designer.

Of course, I also think that the gda-report part should be very useful
even when used without the gnome-db part. So we could add converters to
different formats as suggested by Derek among other useful things. Also,
the gda-report must let modify the report file programatically for the
report designer for example.

This is what I thought we had decided when we started talking about
gda-report a couple of months ago. Did we or did I misunderstand?