postgres libs

Hi all!

I've upgraded my linux box to Mandrake 6.0 and had to change the check
for postgres libs in configure.in. That is, with older versions of
postgres (the one that comes with RedHat 6.0), there was a lib called
libpq.a. Now, with postgres-6.5.1-6, this lib does not exist anymore,
there is some libpq.so*. So, I changed the configure.in file to check
for libpq.so instead of libpq.a.

My question is, how safe is to do this for people using older versions?
If I remember well, libpq.so also existed in the versions I've used
before.