Re: gda- import/export/creation

Hola Rodrigo ( yes I'm going to learn espanol :)

On Wed, 29 Dec 1999 09:54:14 Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Yes, why not? Did you get your CVS account?

not yet - I'm in contact wiht Miguel.
can you mail me the IP of the cvs - server (or is it the same like
anonymous cvs?) for the firewall people?

> I am not busy at the moment at
> work, so I will hack a little bit as well.

I think you're at holidays?

> I was thinking the same yesterday. For this, GDA_Connection_TABLE_SCHEMA,
> GDA_Connection_TABLE_CATALOG (or *_SCHEMA and _CATALOG to be used for any
> object as said yesterday) should be used. So, if you want all types, you
> call GDA_Connection_PROV_TYPES with no more args, if you want types created
> by the current user:
>
> GDA_Connection_PROV_TYPES, GDA_Connection_SCHEMA, user_name
>
> This will return objects of the specified type created by the given user.

what's the different between _SCHEMA and _CATALOG ?

> > another way could be the mapping of gda-types to RDBMS specific types
> > and the server should say, wich gda-types it provides (no selfcreated
> > types
> > provided -> a better posibility to exchange databases from one RDMBS to
> > another via gda ).
>
> This will be done by the Export/Import utility. In export (which is the
> only one working right now), the types are GDA_Types, not RDBMS specific.
> But, we must provide also a list of supported types for the SQL builder
> (not done yet), which will be a kind of 'wizard' for creating SQL
> statements, included CREATE TABLE, in which case RDBMS-specific types are
> needed.

sure? why don't we hide this things in the gda-provider? if you create a
database schema for an application (using gda) this should be rdbms
independent (or not?). for example I would like to test the gnome-mailer
which
uses mysql as datastore - but I don't want to install mysql on my box.
If they
would use gda ... be free ...

I know that's much more work on the provider-side ( 4 providers against
1 application - now ) but later the relationship should be invers. some
providers an lots of applications.

> So, first of all, I am going to change the IDLs, so that instead of
> TABLE_SCHEMA, we'll use SCHEMA, CATALOG... As soon as I compile everything
> ok, I'll commit it to CVS and tell you.
>
> Cheers

so long,

stephan

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
                                                        John Lennon