Re: gnome-db

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> bob@cs.csoft.net wrote:
>

> > PS. COAL can be found at:
> > http://www.thestuff.net/bob/file/coal/
> >

> Ok, great! I'd like to implement gnome-db like this, but... will this COAL be adopted by
> GNOME/ORBit? I ask this, because gnome-db already depends on many external libs (but all of them
> GNOME-related) and I don't want to add more external, non-GNOME-related libs or packages.

Thats the plan. GNOME/ORBit doesnt know about it right now though.

> Of course, there are other possibilities: provide two versions (as I said, the GNORBA dependency is
> very little in the CORBA servers, so this won't be too hard; or add COAL code to gnome-db source
> tree...

If it is to work in both gnome and the console, we wont be able to use
goad. we can just use coal, wich will work in both gnome and the console.

What dependencies other then gnome and goad does it currently have?

> Other thing: as I said, it will be interesting to also have the client lib GNOME-independant. This
> is easy, but it depends entirely on GTK+, since all structs are pure GTK objects, so, again, for
> your app you may still want to add a custom CORBA client.

Well, what would it take to do a custom corba client lib, and then, on top
of that, build gnome-db. That way, it will reduce the amount of repeated
code and will allow both console and gui apps to be created.

> PS: Bob, I think it would be better to continue this gnome-db-related discussion in the
> gnome-db-list, so please let's do it (gnome-db-list@gnome.org)

k.:)