gnome2 top menu panel hidden with metacity/sawfish as wm

If you start gnome2 using MAC X11.app with quartz-wm then you have the top menu panel visible below the mac menu panel - which is what you want.

If you start gnome2 with metacity/sawfish then the top menu panel is hidden under the OSX menu panel which isn't what you want.

I thought I could manipulate .xintrc
exec quartz-wm --only-proxy &
exec gnome-session &

but that didn't work

Anyone come across this problem and solved it.

I like to have all my x apps using metacity/sawfish and all my mac apps using quartz, it's just what I'm used to.

(OSX 10.2.4, X11 Beta 0.2, gnome2 latest fink source compilation)
Gary