GNOME2

Hello Josh,

I have successfully installed GNOME 1.4 without the slightest hiccup by
using FINK. I'll go into GNOME 2 in a second - bear with me. Note that with
FINK if you have already installed X11 in some other way that there is a
"dummy" X11 package so that fink doesn't tell you of the dependency between
GNOME libraries + X etc. Install the dummy X package if you have downloaded
X11 from somewhere else.

That aside, FINK installed GNOME + X both from binaries and from source
without a hitch. Note that compiling from source takes longer. But if you
want frustrations such as I've experienced over the last month, try to
compile KDE or GNOME2 on your iBook. I just won't happen easily. This is due
to library location problems, nonstandard compiler routines, etc. Some
members of this mailing list have talked about using GNOME 2 but have not
yet shared how they got the darned thing installed! I've been fighting with
it for weeks now.

I wish I could be of more help; but seriously prepare yourself for
compilation hell - the UNIX underneath OSX is not the most standard in the
universe and will cause you trouble; especially if you don't understand the
cryptic 'make' errrors that gcc spits out. Feel free to send the errors you
get to the list and I will try to help you get through it, but I'm new too
:).

Bob