Re: [gnome-cy]Rhyw linell, gellweirius go^d...

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 10:07:00AM +0100 or thereabouts, Rhys Jones wrote:
> Well, this is it. Bore da, a chroeso.

Diolch.

> This is really a test posting to see whether the archives work, and we
> need to modify the list information page properly and work out such
> policies as which languages are allowed on the list (we'll have to sooner
> or later :), but for now, well, here's a bilingual bottle of champagne to
> smash against a strained metaphor of a ship.

Well, I can't understand much Welsh (except that I have just
learned that gnome is corrach) although I hope to improve on that.
I am only here in case anyone needs Gnome-specific or mailman
information though. Just remember to ask those in English :)

A lot of the localisation teams use English as a common language,
particularly when getting advice or information from other people.
Hence the gnome-i18n gnome org mailing list and the #i18n channel
on irc.gnome.org are generally English-speaking, for example. But
on the "for this language" lists, it varies. gnome-de is 90%
German, gnome-no all Norwegian, and gnome-cyr a rather lower
proportion: presumably this is because gnome-cyr is for all
Cyrillic language localisations, and a common language is
sometimes needed. One thing about English is that people in
other teams checking archives can read them, which saves
re-stating problems twice. But you can always take those to
gnome-i18n gnome org

For the list-owners, there is an "Edit HTML" option on mailman
which means you can turn the mailing list options into Welsh
as well as English. You can probably change the archive navigation
too, but I'm not so sure on that.

Telsa