Re: listener question

Hi William,

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 21:45, William Jon McCann wrote:
> The thing is that the applet (the listener) is long lived and the event
> source is not.

	Interesting.

> I think one way to handle this is to:
>   1. poll bonobo_activation_query for an active event source
>   2. attach listener to event source
>   3. process notification events
>   4. [event source destroyed] remove listener and goto 1.

	Right; the problem is: getting notifications of newly registered
components with b-a-s is not possible, something we could/should add to
b-a-s I guess.

> Is there a better way to do this?  If not, what is the best way to do 4?
>     Is there a signal emitted when the event source is destroyed?

	Well; you can use the ORBit_small_[un]listen_for_broken API, it's a
slighty clumsy thing though.

	An alternative may be to have your application contact the applet to
set properties on that instead - that is assuming you control both ends
of the pipe :-)

	HTH,

 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot