Bonobo-sample-container: some test results

Hi all

Everyone dealing with bonobo CVS could notice new directory in
libbonoboui: sample/container/. There is a very simple bonobo container
intended to serve as general purpose test tool. Here I put together some
results I could get with most popular bonobo controls put inside this
container. I hope these results can be useful and interesting to the
bonobo community. Probably at some point I'll put this document on the
web (or someone will help me to put it somewhere at ???.gnome.org).
Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Great thanks to Michael for help and patience. And gratitude to the
authors of the bonobo controls (tested and untested) for their great
work.

Cheers,

--
Sergey

Bonobo sample container: bonobo controls testbed

Testing purpose

The purpose of the described testing is to provide some minimal evaluation of the SOME of the existing bonobo controls in the latest GNOME environment. The document describes first results of the testing. Probably, the testing will become periodical so people would be able to see the progress in bonobo controls development.

General notes

The testing application has been recently developed. It is possible that it misses some fundamental points in the bonobo interaction. I hope bonobo community will help me to improve it from container side Б─⌠ and people designing bonobo controls will use it as a testbed for their products. Sure, any notes on the testing method would be highly appreciated.

Testing application

The bonobo-sample-container application is in libbonoboui CVS (samples/container subdirectory). The application instantiates bonobo widget and adds it to the main window. The main window can be either BonoboWindow or GtkWindow (depending on Б─°-gБ─² command line option).

In case of BonoboWindow, the test application appends own items into the main menu, popup menu and toolbar. One of the merged commands is Б─°activateБ─² which activates the control.

For GtkWindow, this merging is not implemented (not possible?). Also, in this case activation does not affect the control behaviour in any way I could see.

Test results

BonoboWindow as container

Postscript (ggv)

  1. Main menu

    1. Showing items from controlБ─⌠ No (after activation - Yes)

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ Yes

  2. Popup menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No (after activation Б─⌠ Yes)

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ No

  3. Toolbar

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No (after activation Б─⌠ Yes)

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ Yes

  4. Extra widgets from control Б─⌠ No (after activation Б─⌠ Yes)

PDF (gpdf)

  1. Main menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No (after activation Б─⌠ Yes)

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ Yes

  2. Popup menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No (after activation Б─⌠ Yes)

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ No

  3. Toolbar

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No (after activation Б─⌠ Yes)

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ Yes

HTML (gtkhtml3)

  1. Main menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ Yes

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ Yes

  2. Popup menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ Yes

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ No

  3. Toolbar

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ Yes

    2. Showing items from container Б─⌠ Yes

  4. Extra widgets from control - Yes

PNG

Bonobo error Б─⌠ the system could not find appropriate controls even with EOG installed.

Microsoft Word DOC

Bonobo error Б─⌠ the system could not find appropriate controls even with AbiWord installed.

GtkWindow as container

Postscript (ggv)

  1. Main menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

  2. Popup menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

  3. Toolbar

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

PDF (gpdf)

  1. Main menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

  2. Popup menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

  3. Toolbar

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

HTML (gtkhtml3)

  1. Main menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

  2. Popup menu

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ Yes

  3. Toolbar

    1. Showing items from control Б─⌠ No

  4. Extra widgets from control Б─⌠ Yes

PNG

Bonobo error Б─⌠ the system could not find appropriate controls even with EOG installed.

Microsoft Word DOC

Bonobo error Б─⌠ the system could not find appropriate controls even with AbiWord installed.

Brief discussion

The leader of this testing is gtkhtml3 control. It gets more points than any other tested control Б─⌠ it shown many of its auxiliary widgets even without activation inside BonoboWindow Б─⌠ and so it did in GtkWindow.

GGV and GPFG show very similar results: bad usability inside GtkWindow, nice looking when put into BonoboWindow.

Not a single control managed to show container-provided popup menu items Б─⌠ probably there is a bug in the test application itself. It was a bit disappointment not to see EOG in action. AbiWord was probably compiled without embedded control Б─⌠ so no complaints here.

It is a pity that BonoboWindow is a necessary requisite for any application wishing to embed and use bonobo widgets effectively. Today, only in BonoboWindow user can get control-provided toolbars and menus. Hopefully, at some point bonoboui library will make bonobo-based UI more flexible and not so dependent on BonoboWindow.

Software used

  • libbonoboui 2.2.0.1

  • ggv 2.0.0

  • gpdf 0.101