Re: commit: AbiWord is now a Nautilus View.

On 29 Mar 2003, Jason Hildebrand wrote:

> On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 08:13, Martin Sevior wrote:
>
> > Can someone on the Nautilus or gnome-components-list tell how I should
> > signal AbiWord that the Nautilus view has closed? Otherwise we have a
> > Frame with attached timers left hanging limbo waiting for it's gdk window
> > to go stale.
>
> I briefly investigated this a couple of weeks ago when playing with the Vim
> control.  I noticed that when I would click "Back" from viewing the Vim control,
> Vim's menus and toolbar buttons would not go away, even though the Vim control
> was long gone.
>
> It appears from the libbonoboui source that calling
> bonobo_ui_component_unset_container() should do the trick, but I don't
> know for sure.  I attempted this within the control's destroy callback:
>
>     uic = bonobo_control_get_ui_component (BONOBO_CONTROL (control));
>     if( uic != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL )
>         bonobo_ui_component_unset_container (uic, NULL);
>
> But it had no effect.  Perhaps the "destroy" event is too late, anyways -- this
> should be in "deactivate".  However, a quick browse through the Nautilus code
> revealed that Nautilus never calls bonobo_control_frame_control_deactivate().
> Perhaps it needs to call this to give the control a chance to unmerge and shut
> down.

I've tried overriding destroy functions in the abiwidget control and
connecting to the "destroy" and "delete_event" events. Nothing ever seems
to get called. Reading through the EOG code implies that merely overiding
the destroy functions should work. But it didn't for me.

I'll look into the nautilus-adapter code to see if there is some clue as
to what signal it gives the control when it disconnects.

Thanks for your help Jason.

Martin