Re: gpointer in an any/BonoboArg

Hi Jacob,

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 06:41, Jacob Perkins wrote:
> I want to put an opaque gpointer in a CORBA_any/BonoboArg, and have that
> any be correctly returned from Bonobo_PropertyBag_getValue. What is the
> correct typecode for the any? I've tried using TC_null and TC_void, and
> while the any is returned, it's _value is always NULL (even though in
> the PropertyBag, I do any->_value = opaque).

	You cannot get the ORB to marshal an opaque type; it's simply
impossible. Thus, you have to expose the type of the structure / union /
sequence / whatever, pass the correct typecode as _type, and a pointer
to that value as _value.

	If you want to retain some degree of opacity, just get the code at the
other end to walk up the typecode hierarchy until it finds the type it
wants, before doing a pointer cast - then in future, you can inherit
from that structure, to add fields.

	HTH,

 michael ximian com  <><, Pseudo Engineer, itinerant idiot