using ItemHandler

I want to be able to get a control with an oafid that accepts arguments,
such as OAFIID:GNOME_GPG_KeyProperties!PGP!jap1 where PGP could also be
CMS and jap1 could be an arbitrary string. The libbonobo docs say that
an ItemHandler is necessary for parsing the '!' commands. However, there
is nothing that says how to do this. I can use
bonobo_get_object("OAFIID:GNOME_GPG_KeyProperties", "Bonobo/Control",
&ev) without a problem, but as soon as I add a '!' argument, it fails
because the factory returns null, though the factory does seem to get
started. So, how do I use an ItemHandler for the arguments? Are there
any examples I can look it?
Thanks