Re: glib / CORBA integration examples ...

On 16 Sep 2002, Alex Graveley wrote:

> Drop the C bindings, and C binding compatibility.  Make the IDL compiler
> generate code which accept GLists for CORBA sequences, and GArrays for
> CORBA arrays.  Typecheck incoming lists/arrays containing Objects using
> GObject typechecks.  Ignore stack allocation.  Remove complex allocation
> and ownerships; when in doubt, copy or add ref.  Have the IDL compiler
> generate GObjects, and handle resource freeing in the generated destroy
> handler.

If you're going that, you might as well just drop the CORBA idea
altogether, because you can get rid of a lot of complexity in the ORB as
well as the language binding.

Youre ignoring the non-GNOME users of ORBit, and you're ignoring the
benefits inherent in following a standard (such as potential compatibility
benefits, and the ability to use OMG R&D work instead of having to do your
own).

Some tradeoffs to think about :)
-- Elliot
"Do not trust the horse, Trojans! Whatever it is, I fear the Greeks, even
though they bring gifts."