Re: GEP 5: New Object Adaptor for ORBit2

Hi Mark,

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 23:44, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > I would be really really dubious about massive swapping out of the
> > libbonobo implementation in the 2.2 timeframe. My suggestion would be
> > to add this feature to ORBit for some apps to play with in 2.2, and
> > then look at using it pervasively in the 2.4 or 3.0 timeframe.

	I must say; I tend to agree with Havoc; also, if we're going to be able
to break compatibility for 3.0 to some degree, we should seriously
consider sitting down with Tim and working out what we can do to make
glib types powerful enough that we can share our allocation and
management semantics with glib. Some people violently object to using
CORBA_free instead of g_free [ xmlFree ? ] and it's worth pandering to
the lowest common developer demonminator IMHO.

> 	Yeah, I agree. What I suggest is that a GServant based version
> of BonoboObject be made available for anyone who wants to use it, but
> that the rest of bonobo continue to use BonoboObject probably until
> 3.0 (unless there actually is a way to do the swap compatibly - which
> I'm still very dubious about - in which case the swap could happen in
> 2.4).

	The thing is; I think BonoboObject buys us pretty the majority of what
the new servant thing does - to the extent that having a new 'standard'
simply ties our hands and confuses the situation prematurely.
[ Even though I'm a big fan of the in-proc efficiency / stability wins
given by single inheritance ].

	So ... hard to know where to go with this one really.