Re: [G2R] Re: Various releases ...

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:

> 	Well - please propose a solution; I'm all ears.

I don't even know what the problem is. I just know that atexit() by
definition does not solve it, because there is no guarantee that an
atexit handler is ever called. The fact that we can't think of a good
solution does not mean that atexit() suddenly works; it means that
we're in trouble.

If you feel like explaining the problem I can try to think of a
suggestion.

> > Plus this reintroduces the "failure to use _exit() with fork/exec
> > causes program implosion" issue that gtk 1.2 had.
>
> 	You just have to use _exit () with fork / exec. AFAIK that's just
> something you have to do; why is it a problem ?

The only difference between _exit() and exit() is that _exit() won't
call atexit() functions (or flush stdio buffers, but who
cares). Therefore unless libraries install atexit() functions, which
they should not do, it's fine to call exit() in apps.

It's a problem because this has always been a GTK FAQ. People just
don't expect it. I don't think most programmers have heard of _exit().
And it's easy to make the issue go away by not using atexit().

Havoc