Re: Gconf schemas value.

Hi Havoc,

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 18:05, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ explains in some detail what you
> have to do.  If you don't understand what's there, ask specific
> questions...

	The bit I was missing is appended. But really - my problem comes down
to something very similar in bonobo-activation; should we be trying to
adapt the environment to tailor the client; eg.

	If I try to do an activation of "foobar" with /tmp in my path; should
it activate /tmp/foobar - or only when I happen to activate b-a-s with
that environment. the GConf analogue would be - should I be able to pick
up a separate prefix/GNOME2_PATH that the person is working in.

	Then again; that all adds a large degree of complexity to the problem;
but as a flip side if we could do it [ for both b-a-s and gconf ] we'd
solve the problem of running multiple parallel installs of different
versions; but perhaps that's not worth solving.

	Anyhow, deep future, blue thought,

[snip]
By default, GConf comes configured as follows:

   xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory
   include "$(HOME)/.gconf.path"
   xml:readwrite:$(HOME)/.gconf
   xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults

If a value is set in the first source, which is read only, then users
can't delete that value, and thus can't set a value of their own. These
settings become mandatory for all users.

The "include" line allows users to insert their own configuration
sources into the search path by creating a file in their home directory
called .gconf.path.
[snip]