Re: BonoboControl refcounting

Hi Ricardo,

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 18:13, Ricardo Fernández Pascual wrote:
> > 	the ref counting is relatively complicated between BonoboControl and
> > BonoboPlug, see libbonoboui/doc/control.txt. I forget the precise
> > details, but I'm hesitant to go chasing in there.
>
> It's really complicated ;)

	Yes - it's not intended for public consumption. Essentially you don't
want to know about the innards of the plug/socket - it should 'just'
work for you.

> When I first saw libbonoboui/doc/control.txt I thought it was just some
> implementation notes and didn't read it. It does not look like a must
> read doc...

	You only need to read it if you're starting to fool around inside the
innards of the control implementation [ which is not a good idea ;-].

> A simple doc explaining how to use the bonobo_object_ref/unref alongside
> g_object/ref/unref would be very useful IMHO, currently it's quite hard
> to know what happens.

	See libbonobo/doc/refcounting.txt - but you need a mental sed of
gtk_object/ for g_object/ - a patch to bring that up to date would be
good.

> No, I was not doing this. I had tried doing a g_object_unref here (it
> didn't work, of course). Thank you, it seems that things work correctly
> now.

	It doesn't work because g_object_ref / unref is not virtualized, so we
can't hook it. [ oh, and it wouldn't really make all that much sense if
we could either ;-].