Re: bonobo-activation - a plan.

Hi Bill,

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Bill Haneman wrote:
> I meant, of course, other than 'exec' ;-)

        You're going to have the first reference problem however you look
at it - period. There can be no language independant IDL interface to
anything, unless it's activated. You can't be garenteed to have activated
it without an exec - really. I think the exec is possibly the cleanest way
we have seen to get a handle to oafd / the end result, that doesn't
involve binding to a C library.

> It would nice to have public IDL for activation that could be called
> from any CORBA binding, and this seems like the "right" thing to do
> for a CORBA-based component environment.

        Yes; we need something like: bonobo-activation-activate 'query'
['sort order'] > IOR with nothing more complex. It should be fairly
trivial to write this sort of thing. I can do it if Maciej is interested -
but we need to get a bonobo-activation release out soon.