Re: bonobo-activation - a plan.

Louise Miller - Sun Microsystems Ireland - Computer Systems - Engineer
wrote:

> > >         So; if your script could execute a little C program, that we
> > > always install that'd be great; eg. if you run bonobo-activation-run-query
> > > with no args, that will ensure ( by the time it completes ) that the
> > > server is correctly started up.
> > >

> Yes, I done exactly this and it works fine for me , thanks
>
> > Oh, I forgot to mention - bonobo-activation comes with a program
> > bonobo-activation-client which will activate an arbitrary server for
> > you and print out the IOR. This can be used as a means of integration
> > of last resort.
> >
> > Bill, would that be good enough for your purposes? The command-line
> > tool would take care of launching the server if need be. It would not
> > handle shlib objects very well since it would exit after activation in
> > that case, but perhaps it can be changed to stick around in the case
> > of an shlib server.
> >
> >  - Maciej
> >

> I'm trying to use the activation-client program, but I am a little unsure
> of its usage. I do not understand what is meant by the -s argument and
> the application will not run without it set. Some examples would be great.

Hi Louise:

I have run this, there are some (spotty) docs in bonobo-activation/docs
that discuss the query format.

An example:

-s "repo_ids.has('IDL:CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0') "

Unfortunately my system gives errors at the moment, my activation seems
broken, so until I can rebuild, I can't go much further than this.

-Bill