Re: bonobo-activation - a plan.

Hi Bill,

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Bill Haneman wrote:
> Actually it does not, for reasons that I have already detailed.  We
> don't have a 'single service' that we are interested in - except
> perhaps the bonobo-activation service itself ;-)

        Right.

> We really need to have a non-JNI, non-C-bound way of querying
> bonobo-activation.  It makes sense to do this via IDL for the
> activation service, and I think we should agree to do this in
> principle as soon as possible.

        I feel uncomfortable that you are re-implementing a part of
bonobo-activation's client code in Java - but if that's the only way for
you it seems reasonable to me.

> As for the bootstrapping of an 'idle' activation server, we can easily
> add a startup/bootstrap call to the 'java' script, since JVM
> invocations are normally started via scripts and not by directly
> invoking the VM's binary.  That way we can be assured that the
> activation service is awake when we make the Java accessibility bridge
> calls (which happen very early in the Java application's lifecycle).

        Ok - that sounds fine; when you say 'script' what do you mean ?
you see, it's all very well having a sort of 'System.execute' approach to
launching the server - but currently the locking to ensure you only get
one server is all done in the client side - ie. the C library code. It
would be pain to replicate it and get it right in Java, IMHO.

        So; if your script could execute a little C program, that we
always install that'd be great; eg. if you run bonobo-activation-run-query
with no args, that will ensure ( by the time it completes ) that the
server is correctly started up.

        For now it might be worth simply copying the private IDL interface
into some private place inside the Java impl.

        HTH,