Re: bonobo-activation; freeing base services ...

Ok,

        So forget the Atexit handler, I agree with Havoc that they are
highly sub-optimal.

        So perhaps if we commit the patch - as was originaly posted, I can
still shutdown the ORB more cleanly, in bonobo-activation - which
allocates the resources itself ( instead of clawing inside it from
libbonobo ). To re-iterate I really need a shutdown function to be able to
get a success / failure indication so my regression tests fail correctly.

On 28 Oct 2001, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Why not install the debug atexit() handlers and print the warnings if
> getenv(ORBIT_DEBUG_OBJECT_LEAKS) != NULL, and install no warnings and
> no handlers if that env variable is unset.

        This sucks - it's easy to detect these resource leaks, they often
point to somewhat serious problems / a lack of understanding and IMHO it
is possible and desirable that every program should be clean against them.
The best way to achieve this is for a programmer to get a warning when he
quits.

        So I will be encouraging everyone to do an explicit
bonobo_shutdown in their code - which is what all the samples will do;
neccessary only for debugging.

	May I commit ?