Control merging and control deletion

Background:
I am developming my Glimmer editor framework using bonobo to make is
embeddable control for use in gIDE.

Problem:
I have several widgets that I would like to embed in the dock and/or
status bar of the parent application. I am doing this with the
bonobo_ui_component_object_set() function, which seems to work fine. The
problem that I am running into is that when my object is deactivated, I
call the bonobo_ui_component_unset_container() function to remove its
interface from the parent app. Somehow this is causing my widgets to be
destroyed even tho I still have a reference on them (via
gtk_object_ref). I have tried unparenting the widgets via
gtk_widget_unparent(), and also removing them from their parent
container (a GtkSocket I believe) with no improvement. I even tried
destroying the BonoboControl that I wrapped the widgets in to add them
to the ui_container...that had disasterous results:

Bonobo-ERROR **: Aggregate bonobo_object member [0x8185b50] has been
destroyed using gtk_object_* methods
aborting...
Aborted (core dumped)

Does anyone have input on this situation? I've looked through the
relevant bonobo code and I can't see why the widgets are being destroyed
rather than just unref'd.

Thanks,
Chris

--

http://glimmer.sourceforge.net - My pet project
http://uberhackers.dhs.org - My personal website

./configure --prefix=/dev/mocha --enable-caffeine