Re: monikers, multi-threading

Hi Lutz,

On 29 May 2001, Lutz Mueller wrote:
> I thought redirecting all request to a moniker could be the solution.
> One moniker, several apps. Indeed, this works if I serialize the
> requests in the module using a global mutex. If I just pass all
> requests to the moniker, something hangs.

	Sadly, you are probably discovering that ORBit-stable ( and bonobo
) are not thread safe in Gnome 1.4 - this is addressed in Gnome 2.0 with
ORBit 2.0 [ and some pending bonobo work ]. You can only make CORBA calls
[ and most bonobo calls ] from a single thread of execution.

> As I said, introducing a global mutex in the module, thus serializing
> the requests for storages, helps.

	If this serializes the CORBA / bonobo API traffic in its entirety,
that should be fine - as long as it is certain that only 1 thread is
handling stuff - all may be well.

	HTH,