Re: stupid question?

Hi,

first of all, there are no stupid questions, only badly/obscurely
documented/explained design features:)

On 20 May 2001, Erik [ISO-8859-1] Bĺgfors wrote:

> Ahh.. that explains alot.  Now I just need to understand the relation
> between the two!

A Bonobo_Foo is a client-side CORBA stub to a CORBA object residing
somewhere that implements the Bonobo::Foo interface. You don't care about
its implementation or wether it is an in-proc, out-of-proc, or even remote
object -- the communication details will be taken care of by your ORB.

A BonoboFoo is a GTK+ object (or GObject, for G2) that implements the
Bonobo::Foo interface. It is a server-side object -- it is a local object,
it contains implementation details, and it exports its CORBA methods to
the ORB.

HTH,
	Cactus

p.s.: It is an unfortunate thing (one that I like to bitch about) that
Bonobo the architecture and libbonobo the implementation are both called
the same -- it can confuse beginners a lot. Plus, I think it might make
other implementations sound inferior because they are not `the real
Bonobo'.

--
   .--= ULLA! =---------------------.   `We are not here to give users what
   \     http://cactus.rulez.org     \   they want'  -- RMS, at GUADEC 2001